Rather listen to this post?
How to String a 9 Diamond Top String: Lacrosse Top Strings
The Key to any great lacrosse pocket is a tight and even top string. Think about it. If your top is uneven then your channel will be uneven. If your top string is too loose or not tight enough then the ball might hit off of the plastic. Both will negatively affect how you pass and shoot. Your top string is the backbone of your lacrosse head, which is key for keeping a consistent stick. If you neglect the top string, over time the sidewall will slack causing your release to be inconsistent and your throws to be bad. This tutorial will cover how to string a 9 diamond top string for performance. If you haven’t strung a lacrosse stick before then make sure your up to date with the stringing rules.
Related Lacrosse Tutorials:
- Chenango TopString Tutorial
- 9 Diamond Hidden TopString Tutorial
- The Guide to Stringing a Lacrosse Stick
Step 1: Gather 9 Diamond Top String Materials
You will Need:
- Sidewall (arm’s length long)
- Lacrosse Mesh
- Lacrosse Head
- Time Length: 5-10 Minutes
- Level of Difficulty: Easy
9 Diamond Top String Tutorial Step 2: Fold the Mesh Over
- During this step you can choose to fold the lacrosse mesh over on the rough or smooth side depending on which side you would like the ball to make contact with.
- Most players tend to stick to the ball making contact with the rough side but its personal preference.
Hand Picked Related Content: Basic Lacrosse Knots
9 Diamond Top String Tutorial Step 3: Lay Lacrosse Mesh Out
9 Diamond Top String Tutorial Step 3: The Double Overhand Knot
The first step that you should take when stringing a 9 Diamond top string is to create your starting knot. As you can see I do not just use a normal knot but one with two loops. This is because sometimes a basic one will pull through the sidewall so it’s a preventative measure. If you’re starting not is too small and slides through while playing it will not only be annoying, but it can ruin how you are playing.
9 Diamond Top String Tutorial Step 4: Attach the Lacrosse Mesh to Head
The second step in stringing a top string is to attach the first loop of the mesh to the sidewall. The pro tip is to make sure that the mesh is centered to the hole and parallel to the side of the head.
9 Diamond Top String Tutorial Step 5: Loop Through Again!
- Notice how the string does not cross over itself rather then evenly sit next to each other.
- The Diamond hole is also centered to the sidewall hole.
9 Diamond Top String Tutorial – Step 6 Pull Lacrosse Sidewall Tight!
- Make sure the lacrosse mesh is secure and not loose.
- Also, try to center the hole on the lacrosse mesh to the sidewall hole on the lacrosse head.
9 Diamond Top String Tutorial – Step 7
- First, make sure that the lacrosse mesh is tightly secured to the sidewall of the lacrosse head.
- Then, you will want to take your sidewall lacrosse string through the back side of the scoop.
- Take your lacrosse sidewall string back through the hole and through the loop created.
9 Diamond Top String Tutorial – Step 8 Attaching the First Top String Hole
- You are going to want to go back through the top string hole on the lacrosse head
- Then take your sidewall through the front of the scoop, and then through the loop, you created.
- The “knuckle” of the mesh should be centered between the two strings.
9 Diamond Top String Tutorial Step 9
- Pull the lacrosse string tight and move it back and forth to tighten up the lacrosse top string knot.
9 Diamond Top String Tutorial Step 10
- If you notice on the third diamond in the 9 diamond row of the lacrosse mesh is “bridged” or “floating”.
- This is optional, if you like a tighter top of your pocket and a more defined channel, then I would suggest you try it.
- If you are a player who prefers a baggy pocket, high pocket or a not as tight pocket then skip the bridging.
Hand Picked Related Content: The parts of a Lacrosse Stick Explained
9 Diamond Top String Tutorial Step 11
- Continue down your lacrosse head, repeating the lacrosse knots that you learned before in the prior steps.
Lacrosse 9 Diamond Top String Tutorial Step 12
Hand Picked Related Content: Stacked Special Interlock Lacrosse Knot
Lacrosse 9 Diamond Top String Tutorial Step 13
Lacrosse 9 Diamond Top String Tutorial Step 14
9 Diamond Top String Tutorial Step 15
9 Diamond Top String Tutorial Step 16
Final Results: Lacrosse 9 Diamond Top String
Hope you enjoyed this Tutorial on Lacrosse Top Strings!
If you have any questions please feel free to ask them below in the comments section! We will continue this series shortly, creating a guide to sidewall patterns, which we will link this post too after finishing.